29 July 2011

Pimp my sofa

This is the lovely sofabed that has served us and our guests well for the last 4 years. That's why eventhough the duck down back cushions are not holding shape anymore, we're not going to give it up just yet (and that would be so wasteful!). It's getting a bit annoying though, the feathers in the custhions shift all the time so I have to puff and reposition them everytime I want to sit down. Luckily, I trawled through the web and found this upholstery method called "Mock Tufting". (Initially I wanted a button tufted look but soon realised that it's not easy to achieve without paying someone to professionally upholster them - qouted at £30 per cushion in case anyone fancy getting theirs done).

VoilĂ ! It took me about 2 hours to mock tuft the cushions and they look much neater now, don't they? I am quite pleased with the finishing products, especially when it means I don't have to fiddle with the cushions everytime I want to sit down now!

You will need some upholstery needles and thick thread - I used an 8 inches long needle with threads we used to make friendship bracelets with. Also measure and mark the cushions where you want to sew in the "tuft". For this task, lazyniss doesn't pay well as I learn the long way (thought after measuring and doing my first cushion I can "feel" my way around the second one. But the tufts didn't align and had to take them out and re-start the damn thing) :p
Next, the futon inside the sofabed needs changing, it's sagging a bit and you can feel the mesh underneath holding it all together. But a cheap double futon on ebay is at least £100, I wonder if there's another trick that I can find to sort out the old one instead...?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave Gajamay a comment without logging in by selecting "Anonymous".